cost to deliver Eye Care for Amblyopia Decade in America:
Amblyopia Decade: First Ten Years
Number of US children in the Amblyopia Decade: 40 Million
Average cost of Eye Exam: $90-100
Average Surgery Center / Anesthesia cost for eye surgery $2000
AAP = American Academy of Pediatrics
AOA = American Optometric Association
VCA = Vision Council of America
The total US Eye Care Costs for the Amblyopia Decade
varies by Guidelines for Vision Screening or Comprehensive Exams:
No mandated screening “Trickle In” = $1.1 Billion
AAP Guidelines without objective test(1) = $2.1 Billion
AAP Guidelines with Objective test (i.e photoscreen(2)) = $2.2 Billion
AOA Guidelines without Vision Therapy(3,4) = $4.5 Billion
"Check Yearly. See Clearly"(5) (VCA) = $6 Billion
Total eye care generated by 700 US Pediatric Ophthalmologists = $0.56
1. Swanson J. Eye examination in infants, children
and young adults by pediatricians: AAP Policy Statement. Ophthalmology.
2. Swanson J, Committee on practice and ambulatory medicine -. Use of
photoscreening for children's vision screening (AAP Policy Statement).
3. Scheiman M, Amos C, Ciner E, Marsh-Tootle W, Moore B, Rouse M. Pediatric
Eye and Vision Examination-Reference guide for clinicians. St. Louis,
MO: American Optometric Association; 1994.
4. Arnold RW, Armitage MD, Gionet EG, et al. The cost and yield of photoscreening:
Impact of photoscreening on overall pediatric ophthalmic costs. JPOS.
5. Donahue SP. How often are spectacles prescribed to "normal"
preschool children? J AAPOS. 2004;8(3):224-229.